Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Captain Marvel Part 2 – I Really Love This Character!


So, after my Shazam review, I went back to my collection to read some Captain Marvel comics again. I came away with a realization: I’m a bigger Captain Marvel fan than I thought I was. I was always aware of the character peripherally and liked him, but after I re-read some Golden Age reprints of Captain Marvel Jr. and Mary Marvel, along with Jerry Ordway’s 1994 origin, and the Shazam: Greatest Stories Ever Told collection, I also realized that I need to hunt down more Captain Marvel. I love this character.


My other realization is that DC largely doesn't know how to handle him anymore. A term I’ve heard used to describe Captain Marvel recently is “zany.” Captain Marvel is not “zany" at all. He's a serious character in a fantasy world... "Whimsy" is a far better word to describe this character. Geoff Johns' New 52 take on him was not great. But that's not saying much, the New 52 wasn't kind to any DC character. DC has only really done a little bit with the real Captain Marvel, actually a separate character from Johns' "Shazam", since the 2011 reboot. The “Shazam!” version had a short-lived series in 2018 (again by Geoff Johns with artist Dale Eaglesham) and as of 2o22, Mary recently starred in a limited series, New Champion of Shazam!, that was pretty good, making her the new Captain Marvel/"Champion of Shazam"! DC has also used his real name, Captain Marvel, post the New 52 run which proves that DC has not lost all common sense. Somebody at DC gets it. There are writers and artists who are fans of Captain Marvel and understand his mythology. If only they could give fans an ongoing series that lasts, something that understands the characters as strongly as Grant Morrison's Thunderworld Adventures #1. I fear that, because of the moderate success of the Shazam! movie, that they're going to double down with that take on the character. I hope not. I hope that Captain Marvel can retain his fun, whimsical tone and have his true monicker restored.


I think, if you're a fan from way back, you'll find something to enjoy that’s Captain Marvel related up until the 2o11 Geoff Johns' stories. DC has done some excellent stuff with the franchise since the 1970s. Despite what C.C. Beck thought, the Bronze Age Captain Marvel run was pretty good, especially the work of Denny O'neil and E. Nelson Bridwell. The Roy Thomas/Tom Mandrake origin from 1987 was not bad as a story... just tonally confused and perhaps overly complicated. I think, if you like the New 52 Shazam!, that’s great! More power to you! I hope that run fosters a love for the character and inspires you to go back and enjoy the original stories, and then get into Jerry Ordway's stuff, and definitely check out Shazam! The Power of Hope.

 


Hopefully too, we'll get more Shazam reprints. I’d love a new edition of The Monster Society of Evil, the Golden Age story (perhaps with a disclaimer the way WB did with some of its old cartoons) … Depending on who you ask, this story may be the greatest Golden Age story ever written and drawn. I think it's one of the best, despite its racist and problematic elements. That's the problem with the Golden Age though, isn't it? By virtue of the fact that many superheroes debuted during World War II, and comic books were born in the late 1930s, racism, war propaganda, and rampant misogyny were pervasive. I still think it's essential for Captain Marvel fans to experience that story. The Jeff Smith retelling of that story has a large audience, and it’s a fantastic introduction to Captain Marvel for new readers, but, for my money, the Golden Age story is meatier and has a lot more to offer in terms of classic Cap stories and adventure.     


Of course, there are many fans today who only read modern comics. If that's the case, you can't really do any better than the Jerry Ordway run on Power of Shazam! It ran for 47 issues, plus one annual, which can usually be found in fine condition (or better) in comics bins for 50 cents per issue. 


For my money, the Justice League episode, Clash, is the best portrayal of Captain Marvel outside of comics. I also love the DC Showcase short with him in it. That's a Billy Batson that I want to watch! 

Say what you will about the movie, but the most positive thing to come out of it is that Captain Marvel is getting more exposure and is making new fans discover him and older fans, like myself, rediscover their love of the character and his world. Yeah, I like the Shazam movie for what it is, but am disappointed that it wasn’t faithful to Captain Marvel. Regardless of a movie misfire, only good things can only come from reading the adventures of Billy Batson and his family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment